In Video No. 12 I’m showing you a 10min “Neck, Back and Shoulder Stretching” Routine. This includes various standing and seated stretches. You could do the program e.g.
- first thing in the morning after waking up, to loosen your body after a good nights rest.
- as a office desk mid-morning or lunchtime break
- as a evening routine after work or a long day at the desk to stretch those tight neck, back and shoulder muscles.
- maybe when driving long-distances as a mini break
- what else could you use this routine for …… ? Let me know.
The stretches and exercises are very simple and can be done anywhere. You don’t need any special equipment or props, nor do you need to change clothing – simple – quick and easy !!!
You will see a few seated stretches being done in a office chair, just to give you some ideas what can be done to stretch your back, spine and shoulder area and reduce tension in that area, as it gets tight for most of us when sitting for hours on a desk.
Aim to do some or all of these exercises at least once a day, ideally twice a day. Maybe get your work colleagues to join in and do it as a team activity or break. Taking a few minutes out will give you a mental break and boost your alertness and productivity.
I generally recommend to
(1) set a fixed time at which you do this stretching program e.g. mid morning 10am or after your lunch break at 1.30pm. The main goal is to establish a routine, something you do at set times and days. Ultimately you want to do this without having to think about it, without any conscious effort – your posture will thank you.
(2) Schedule it in your diary at the beginning of the week, it only takes 10min.
(3) Get your work colleagues to join and make is team activity or do it together with you partner or spouse.
(4) ask yourself “What is different after doing this stretching routine?” – “Which body-part loosened up or is more relaxed after the stretches?” – “What are the benefits of doing this?”